March 7, 2010

Small Places

Why Do Cats Like Small Places?


The mom purchased a really good book about kitties and it has a lot of information on why the kitties do what we do and why. I have decided to share this book with you and will be doing posts in the future that will help the humans understand us a little better. The name of the book is Why Cats Do That: A Collection Of Curious Kitty Quirks by Karen Anderson.

"Cats are fond of closet shelves, drawers, baskets, boxes, and other hideaways because they feel snug and protected in smaller, defined places . . . A cat who is especially fearful or upset might be found under beds and sofas-the harder to reach, the better."


" Kitty's love of cramped quarters is why cats don't mind cat carriers. From the cat's point of view, if the humans insist on hauling them to the dreaded vet and back, please let it be in a sturdy, secure carrying case. It is the unusual cat who prefers to roam the inside of a car and kitty usually ends up under the seat anyway."

Now some of your kitties don't like the carrier because you are sooooo smart that you remember that this means a trip to the vet doctor. That is why you will become fearful and find that safe hiding place where the mom or dad cannot get you. Never go to the vet without giving the folks a battle first.

I hope you liked this information and it helps your humans who don't know everything that they should know about the raising of a kittie. My next post from this wonderful book will be about why kitties like high places.

Happy hiding!

29 comments:

Dexter said...

Oh yes. My niece kittehs always hide in their safe places whenever momma and master visit their estate. Now we know why.

Slobbers,
Mango

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

When we were tiny babies and came to our forever home, we liked to curl up together in our cat carrier.

Sweet Purrfections said...

Thanks for the advice. All of us kitties know we love the closets!

The Florida Furkids said...

Tamir actually sleeps in the P-T-U - can you imagine that????

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

The Island Cats said...

We love small spaces...the smaller the better!

Bengal Duo ~ Zulu and Deene said...

Yay fur boxes!!!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Yep, that pretty much describes us too, but we do occasionally sleep in out PTU too.

Raymond and Busby said...

That's very interesting Gracie. Sounds like a good book to read while we are hiding under the bed!

Jacqueline said...

Kitties are so smart; it's very nice of you to try to educate the humans for us, Gracie...Cute picture of you too!...xo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Angel Simba said...

That looks very cozy, Gracie!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Gracie
That was really interesting and thank you for sharing that information.

purr on
Abby

Lucy-Fur, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

You look quite snuggy and warm there!

*kissey face*
-Fiona

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

When I first came to live here I was always finding a small place to hide. Now I just hide when I get sleepy, but sometimes I sleep in Mommy's lap. I feel safe there too. ~Artemisia

Kea said...

That sounds like a great book! Our assistant will be looking forward to the excerpts.

Cat with a Garden said...

That makes purrfect sense to us. Mom squealed at the first picture, Gracie. From us two it's Chilli who especially like tight places.
Purrs, Siena & Chilli

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

I like open boxes but hates the PTU because it has a lid, in addition to what it means.

You look gorgeous and oh-so-cute in those pics.

Just Ducky said...

Hmmmm, I know the big kittie feels nice and doesn't hide. But me I sometimes feel I need a hidey spot, then under the bed I go. Ducky.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Very good info. And that is why our huge Rusty likes to sleep in one of the dishpan beds instead of in his very large laundry basket bed. The crampier the better. :-)

Quill and Greyson said...

I do like a tight squeeze.

Unknown said...

Such a cute pic!! ;-)

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

This sounds like a very useful book, our human needs it!!

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

We think mom shud read this book. We'll borrow her credit card and order it for her! Tee hee!

Amy & the house of cats said...

Hi Gracie! Mom was bad and barely had the computer on all weekend. So first let me tell you how beautiful you look in your pictures!

I like to sleep in our cat carrier - and I just found an awesome basket that is perfect!

I hope you had a good weekend - ours was strange because mom was all crazy. But it is all good now!!

Sending lots of Smooches!!

Barney

Beth said...

Gracie, your photos are adorable! You are such a cutie!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angel Gracie=^o.o^= said...

What is PTU? I don't know!!

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

PYU = Prisoner transport Unit = cat carrier.

Just coming by to say Mieow. Hope all is going well at your place.

meowmeowmans said...

We love small spaces, too! The cozier, the better! :)

Dog Foster Mom said...

Thanks MoMo - I'm glad to learn what a PTU is too.

I use them to take my foster cats to PetSmart every Saturday for adoption events, and most of them run and hide when they see the PTU come out. But of course my own cat Merlin who never gets to go to PetSmart is always the first one to run into the carrier. Now I understand why! Thanks Gracie! I look forward to more excerpts from your book, and my cats probably appreciate it too since I will learn useful information about them!